Friday 1 July 2011

VBScript : OpenTextFile Weird/Bad Characters

I have just experienced a problem while trying to read a text file by vbscript. When I echo lines to screen I saw an empty line shows ÿþ, and other weird/bad characters.
Screen_04 21-Jan-09 14.47

Than I realized the problem is about the file's encoding. The text file I was trying to read is created by printing characters to a file. (dir c:test.txt).

So don't forget to define encoding type while opening a file, check the three parameters below that you will use as a paramater for OpenTextFile

Open Using System Default > TristateUseDefault =-2
Open File As Unicode icin > TristateTrue=-1
Open File As ASCII icin > TristateFalse=0

Example:

Const ForReading = 1
Const TristateUseDefault=-2
Dim objFSO
Set objFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile("C:WDSPendingDevices.txt", ForReading, True, TristateUseDefault)

( VBScript : OpenTextFile Weird/Bad Characters )

No comments:

Post a Comment